As an active athlete in the past, I was more interested in spending every available training seconds clocking mileage on the tarmac rather than buidling up the foundation for enhanced perfomance. Core & strength development to me was not necessary as I had felt I did not have enough time to add them into my training programme.
What I had failed to realise was that moving continuously in one pattern of movement creates imbalances in our body that can result in weak performance or injuries.
Now that I have returned to the running track after a long period of recovery from injuries, core & strength development are very crucial in being part of the training plan so that I won't sustain more injuries. Phases of Core & Strength Development can also help strengthen and increase flexibility in different muscles on the body.
Strength training alone helps address muscular imbalances that lead to injuries, increases the ability to resist muscular fatigue, increase bone density and enhance joint stability by strengthening muscles, ligaments and tendons.
Vinyasa yoga today with Elaine made core workouts enjoyable. We did planks with variations. I found myself trying to co-ordinate my muscles in various strenous poses which pushed me further to feel the pain because only when I feel the soreness then I know my muscles are really activated. My shivering limbs were not encouraging though, but I tried to hang on a pose as long as possible. At times, I was glad when Elaine said "ok release". Then I'd chide myself for being a weakling. Overall, this session made me start to love planks. A lot of people hate doing planks....I think I dig it.
After the yoga session, I went on to the gym for a 6km spin. My under-utilized quad muscles were certainly elated. I'm sure there's gonna be more spinning to come.
For more info on Vinyasa Yoga taught by Elaine, check out www.yogabodywork.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment